From Gardenology.org - Plant Encyclopedia and Gardening wiki
blog comments powered by Disqus
Masala (also transliterated as "massala") is a term used in Indian cuisine to describe a mixture of many spices.
- Masala, a popular film genre in South India
- Masala chai or chai, a tea made with milk, sugar, and several spices.
- Garam masala, a premade mixture of ground spices used for flavoring foods (some other mixtures exist, such as Tandoori masala, Kashmiri masala, Madras masala, Sambhar masala, Dhansak masala, and Green masala).
- Chicken Tikka Masala, a westernized "Indian" dish based on Chicken Tikka and cooked in a sauce, or curry.
- Masala dosa, a Dosa stuffed with lightly spiced potatoes.
- Paan masala, a mixture of ground betel nuts and other spices.
The term masala on its own is sometimes used by cookery writers to refer to the spicy sauce which you are using or have just made, as in "mix the spices to make the masala".
Masala - also means "material" in Georgian