|Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture|
Grammatophyllum (Greek, gramma, a line or streak, and phyllon, leaf; probably referring to the parallel leaf-veins). Orchidaceae, tribe Vandeae. A group of perhaps 8 or 9 epiphytic species, of which about half are well-defined, inhabiting the islands from Madagascar to the Philippines and New Guinea. The genus includes some of the largest and showiest of cultivated orchids.
Roots numerous: sts. or pseudobulbs many-lvd.: lvs. long, ribbon-shaped, thick, evergreen: racemes long- stalked, loosely many-fld., springing from near the base of the pseudobulb; fls. large, not obviously spurred; sepals and petals nearly equal, spreading; lip comparatively small, with margin entirely free, 3-lobed, with erect lateral lobes; column slender. Allied genera are Grammangis and Cymbidium, from both of which Grammatophyllum differs in having the pollen masses each borne upon an appendage of the stalk, while in the two related genera they are attached to a common stalk without special appendages.
The few species in cultivation are such infrequent bloomers that the flowering of a fine example is something of an event. They are propagated from pieces of the pseudobulbs. The plants are best grown in good sized and well-drained pots filled with peat, and need considerable water while actively growing. They should be allowed to rest occasionally. Season of bloom and further cultural details with each species. CH
- Do you have cultivation info on this plant? Edit this section!
- Do you have propagation info on this plant? Edit this section!
Pests and diseases
- Do you have pest and disease info on this plant? Edit this section!
- Grammatophyllum elegans
- Grammatophyllum fenzlianum
- Grammatophyllum kinabaluense
- Grammatophyllum martae
- Grammatophyllum measuresianum
- Grammatophyllum multiflorum
- Grammatophyllum rumphianum
- Grammatophyllum schmidtianum
- Grammatophyllum scriptum : Bell Orchid
- Grammatophyllum scriptum var. boweri
- Grammatophyllum scriptum var. scriptum
- Grammatophyllum speciosum : Giant Orchid, Tiger Orchid, Queen of Orchids (Indo-China to Solomon Is.) - type species
- Grammatophyllum stapeliiflorum
G. ellisii -, Lindl.=Grammangis ellisii.—G. indeterminale, Hort. G. levictum, Hort.=(T). T.H. Kearney.CH
- Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture, by L. H. Bailey, MacMillan Co., 1963