|Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture|
Ligustrum vulgare, Linn. Common Privet or Prim. Shrub, to 15 ft.: branchlets and panicles puberulous: leaves oblong-ovate to lanceolate, obtuse or acute, glabrous: panicle rather dense, pyramidal, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 in. long; stamens shorter than the limb. June, July. Eu., N. Afr., W. Asia. Naturalized in some places, chiefly in the E. —Many garden forms. Var. buxifolium, Nichols. Leaves ovate or oblong-ovate, obtuse, half-evergreen. Var. glaucum, Hoefker (var. glaucum albo-marginatum, Spaeth). Leaves bluish green, with narrow white margin. Var. sempervirens, Loud. (L. vulgare var. italicum, Kirchn. L. italicum, Mill. L. sempervirens, Pieri). Leaves linear-lanceolate, almost evergreen. Var. pendulum, Hort., with pendulous branches. Var. pyramidale, Spaeth, with strictly upright branches. There are also varieties with frs. of different colors, as var. chlorocarpum, Loud., with greenish, var. leucococarpum, Loud., with whitish, and var. xanthocarpum, Loud., with yellowish frs. Variegated forms are: var. aureum, Hort., with yellow foliage, and var. variegatum, Hort., with the leaves blotched yellow. Var. lutescens, Hort., has deep cream-yellow flowers. CH
- Do you have cultivation info on this plant? Edit this section!
- Do you have propagation info on this plant? Edit this section!
Pests and diseases
- Do you have pest and disease info on this plant? Edit this section!
If you have a photo of this plant, please upload it! Plus, there may be other photos available for you to add.
- Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture, by L. H. Bailey, MacMillan Co., 1963
- w:Ligustrum vulgare. Some of the material on this page may be from Wikipedia, under the Creative Commons license.
- Ligustrum vulgare QR Code (Size 50, 100, 200, 500)