|Zelkova serrata subsp. var.||Japanese Zelkova, Keaki|
|Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture|
Zelkova serrata, Makino (Z. acuminata, Planch. Z. hirta, Schneid. Z. Keaki, Mayr. Z. cuspidata, Hort. Planera acuminata, Lindl. Planera japonica, Miq. Planera Keakii, C. Koch. Ulmus Keakii, Sieb.). Fig. 4042. Tree, attaining 100 ft., with broad, round-topped head: branches slender: lvs. short-stalked, ovate to oblong-ovate, acuminate, rounded or slightly cordate at the base, sharply and coarsely serrate, with acuminate teeth, pairs of veins about 10, somewhat rough above, almost glabrous, 1 – 2 1/2 in. long on fertile branches, 2-5 on sterile branches. April, May. Japan. G.F. 6:325. Gt. 37, pp. 22, 23. S.I.F. 1:36. G.W. 16, p. 216.
This species is cultivated widely. Crown spreads wide. Bark grey to grey-brown or pinkish-grey, scaly. Leaves have fine hairs, heavy teeth and veins underneath, turning deep yellow and a medium chocolate brown in the fall.
- More information about this species can be found on the genus page.
An easily grown plant, it succeeds in almost any good soil, acid or alkaline, preferring a deep well-drained moist loam11RH. Prefers a moderately sheltered position11. Relatively shade tolerantRH. A fast growing treeRH. Dormant plants are very cold-tolerant, but they are sometimes damaged by late spring frosts when they are young11. Plants are susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease, but the beetle that is the vector of this disease rarely feeds on Zelkova so infestation is rare11RH. Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungusRH.
Seed - best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is ripe. Stored seed requires stratification and should be sown as early in the year as possible78RH. Germination rates are variable78. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts.
Pests and diseases
- Do you have pest and disease info on this plant? Edit this section!
- 'Goblin' - a high dwarf reaching 1 m
- 'Green Vase' - leaves are extremely bright green, takes the shape of a vase
- 'Village Green' - grows fast, with rich green leaves.
- Flora: The Gardener's Bible, by Sean Hogan. Global Book Publishing, 2003. ISBN 0881925381
- w:Japanese Zelkova. Some of the material on this page may be from Wikipedia, under the Creative Commons license.
- Japanese Zelkova QR Code (Size 50, 100, 200, 500)