|Zantedeschia aethiopica subsp. var.|
|Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture|
Zantedeschia aethiopica, Spreng. (Calla aethiopica, Linn. Colocasia aethiopica, Spreng. Richardia aethiopica, Hort. R. africana, Kunth). Common Calla. Lily-of-the- Nile. Stout robust plant: lvs. smooth, the petiole without bristles; blade about twice as long as wide, broad or narrow but cuspidate at the apex, cordate-sagittate at the base, both lvs. and spathes varying greatly in size: spathe 3-10 in. long, white, creamy inside at the base, flaring outward and narrowing to a cuspidate tip. S. Afr.— Fragrant. Sports with double and triple spathes often occur.
Var. minor, Engler (R. nana compacta, Hort.). Little Gem. Like the type, but only 12-16 in. high: spathes 3-4 in. long. Var. devoniensis, Hort. (R. devoniensis, Hort.). Dwarf; freer bloomer than Little Gem, and more fragrant.
There are many forms of the calla lily in cult., a number of which have received Latin names. Some of these horticultural names are candidissima, spathe large, pure white; gigantea, plant very large; Godefreyana, dwarf, white; grandiflora, spathe large; Childsiana, dwarfer and more compact than type and more floriferous.
Evergreen or semi-evergreen. Large rhizome clumps develop. big clumps of leaves. leaves are long-stemmed. leaves 12-24 in (30-60 cm) long. arrowhead-shaped leaves. flower stems are tall. flower stem has white spathe, up to 10 in (25 cm) long, surrounding a yellow spadix. Naturalizes in mild climates, and can become invasive.
- More information about this species can be found on the genus page.
- Do you have cultivation info on this plant? Edit this section!
- Do you have propagation info on this plant? Edit this section!
Pests and diseases
- Do you have pest and disease info on this plant? Edit this section!
- 'Childsiana' - 18 in (45 cm) tall, leaves are small, flowers are pinkish and last well when cut
- 'Crowborough' - 36 in (90 cm) high;
- 'Green Goddess' - 36 in (90 cm) high, small spathe is heavily tinted green, may be invasive.
- Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture, by L. H. Bailey, MacMillan Co., 1963
- Flora: The Gardener's Bible, by Sean Hogan. Global Book Publishing, 2003. ISBN 0881925381
- w:Zantedeschia aethiopica. Some of the material on this page may be from Wikipedia, under the Creative Commons license.
- Zantedeschia aethiopica QR Code (Size 50, 100, 200, 500)